Linda Misko MSN, RN, NPD-BC
Linda Misko is the Manager of Education at AdventHealth Daytona Beach and the Pathway Program Director. AdventHealth Daytona Beach achieved their first Pathway designation in November 2020. Now Linda is mentoring other sister organizations as they embark on their Pathway journeys.
What did getting the Pathway designation mean to you?
- It validated the exceptional nurses that we have and all the hard work they are doing each day.
- So proud to work for an organization that believed in their nurses and committed the financial support to make it happen.
How do you feel the PTE framework supports your nurses during this time?
- By doing the writing and search for evidence, it helped us to identify areas of opportunity for the organization. Once identified, we were able to put changes into practice to support our nurses.
What do you hope to do in the future to support your PTE designation?
- Continuously look at ways to improve. Get the new standards to determine if we are meeting those expectations have processes in place.
Any advice, lessons learned?
- Keep a spreadsheet that details
- For version 1, 2 etc… edits
- CNO final review
- EOP #
- Who is was assigned to
- When was it assigned to them
- When it went to consultant
- Try to get ahead as many EOPs as possible and do not wait to close to the deadline to submit.
- Have CNO backing and hold writers accountable
- Hold writing sessions off their units
- Follow up with each writer weekly
- Get the word out early about what Pathway is and what it means for the hospital. Staff do not realize all the things they do to make a difference each and every day.
- Use councils to help push the word
- Have weekly or monthly Pathway messages out to the teams
- Go to huddles and meetings to talk about Pathway and the EOPs
- Put up posters/boards before the survey to let them know what is coming, what the EOPs are
- Create a resource binder for the units with the EOPs and highlight the nurse stories
- When it is time for survey, round on the units wit snacks to let them know about the survey and how they can access it. Take the time to answer questions about what Pathway is.